Insiders: “Glyphosate can cause cancer”
Is glyphosate dangerous or not? To find out… I’m joined by Kurt Straif, a senior scientist with the International Agency for Research on Cancer.
“Our evaluation was a review of all the published scientific literature on glyphosate and this was done by the world’s best experts on the topic that in addition don’t have any conflicts of interest that could bias their assessment, and they concluded that, yes, glyphosate is probably carcinogenic to humans based on three strings of evidence, that is clear evidence of cancer in experimental animals, limited evidence for cancer for humans from real-world exposures, of exposed farmers, and also strong evidence that it can damage the genes from any kind of other toxicological studies.”
euronews: “Why isn’t glyphosate banned considering these findings which are damning?”
Kurt Straif: “This is really an independent review of all the published literature that then leads to a classification about what we know about the substance and particularly its cancer-causing effects, but then it’s up to other agencies, the WHO internationally or other national agencies to turn that into a risk assessment and decide on the different exposures in our use, for farmers, from our diet, in cosmetics, wherever the substance can end up, to come up with conclusions.”
euronews: “Last May a joint Food and Agriculture Organization / WHO panel gave glyphosate a clean bill of health, Why this change of heart?”
Kurt Straif: “Our classification of the cancer hazards of glyphosate still stand. We are the authority to classify cancer substances worldwide for the WHO, and it was then this other panel that looked at a very narrow angle of exposure from daily food, and then came up with the conclusion on how much of that may be safe or not.”
euronews: “But as a consumer, as a farmer, as an occasional beer drinker, as somebody who likes to sit in parks that have been treated with glyphosate, what and who should I believe?”
Kurt Straif: “I think it’s important to understand the literature that our assessment that glyphosate can cause cancer in humans still stands, and then you have to look at the other assessments for the specific scenarios, and that is not my authority to comment on these evaluations.”
euronews: “There were credible reports that emerged after this joint FAO-WHO panel back in May that some of the scientists had received payoffs by Monsanto, the number one producer of glyphosate. As a scientist are you disturbed by these kinds of reports?”
Kurt Straif: “It is an important topic that needs important scrutiny, yes.”
What are endocrine disruptors?
Here is a definition according to the American National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences:
Endocrine disruptors are chemicals that may interfere with the body’s endocrine system and produce adverse developmental, reproductive, neurological, and immune effects in both humans and wildlife. A wide range of substances, both natural and man-made, are thought to cause endocrine disruption, including pharmaceuticals, dioxin and dioxin-like compounds, polychlorinated biphenyls, DDT and other pesticides, andplasticizers such as bisphenol A. Endocrine disruptors may be found in many everyday products– including plastic bottles, metal food cans, detergents, flame retardants, food, toys, cosmetics, and pesticides. The NIEHS supports studies to determine whether exposure to endocrine disruptors may result in human health effects including lowered fertility and an increased incidence of endometriosis and some cancers. Research shows that endocrine disruptors may pose the greatest risk during prenatal and early postnatal development when organ and neural systems are forming.
Approval of active substances in the EU
A plant protection product usually contains more than one component. The active component against pests/plant diseases is called “active substance”. The European Commission evaluates every active substance for safety before it reaches the market in a product. Substances must be proven safe for people’s health, including their residues in food and effects on animal health and the environment.
Glyphosate & cancer risk
In 2015 the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) classified glyphosate as "probably carcinogenic to humans".
They made this conclusion from "limited" evidence of carcinogenicity in humans for non-Hodgkin lymphoma (from real-world examples where exposure had occurred). The human evidence came from several studies, since 2001, in mostly agricultural exposures in the US, Canada and Sweden.
They also found "sufficient" evidence that glyphosate can cause cancer in experimental animals (studies usuing ’pure’ glyphosate).
The result is based on a review of roughly 1000 studies.
Glyphosate, key ingredient in Monsanto’s bestselling herbicide, has European licence extended for 18 months despite warnings it is ‘probably carcinogenic’.
Glyphosate: Statement by European Commissioner for Health and Food Safety, Vytenis Andriukaitis
I want to stress again that the EU’s authorisation procedure as regards pesticides is the strictest in the world. It takes years of scientific assessment before an active substance is authorised – or renewed at EU level.
I believe it is important to clarify that once an active substance is approved – or renewed at EU level – it is then up to Member States to authorise the final products (the herbicides and pesticides themselves) put on their respective markets.
The Member States who wish not to use glyphosate based products have the possibility to restrict their use. They do not need to hide behind the Commission’s decision.
Timeline: decisions about glyphosate
- March 20, 2015 - IARC classifies glyphosate as "probably carcinogenic"
- November 10, 2015 - EFSA concludes that glyphosate is unlikely to pose a carcinogenic hazard to humans
- May, 16 2016 - FAO/WHO agrees that glyphosate is unlikely to pose a carcinogenic risk to humans
- end 2017 - ECHA expected to finalise evaluation of glyphosate
- 24 February 2016 - EC proposes to relicense glyphosate for 15 years
- 8 March 2016 - 4 EU states force delay of a vote to renew the glyphosate licence
- 13 April 2016 - EP votes to re-approve glyphosate for just 7 years
- 18-19 May 2016 - EU declines to renew glyphosate licence
- June 2016 - No qualified majority from the Member States at either the Standing Committee (6/06) or the Appeal Committee (24/06)
- 29 June 2016 - EC finally extends glyphosate license for 18 months, until European Agency for Chemical Products (ECHA) issues its opinion
In all, the EU’s assessment of glyphosate has taken 3 years, involving public sector scientific experts from EU’s agencies (EFSA and ECHA) and national authorities in all 28 Member States.
* * *
Is ‘Glyphosate’ herbicide a health risk?
- KAKO DA O(P)STANE SRBIJA BEZ GMO - SNIMAK TRIBINE
- DECI O GMO - DR TATJANA PAPIĆ BRANKOV
- ULOGA MEĐUNARODNIH ORGANIZACIJA U ŠIRENJU GM HRANE - TATJANA PAPIĆ BRANKOV I KOVILJKO LOVRE
- DR TATJANA BRANKOV - GMO RULET
- ЧУВАЈМО СВОЈЕ СОРТЕ И ХИБРИДЕ - GMO - OTROV, HRANA ILI... (NOVOSTI, DODATAK)
- GMO - ORUŽJE ZA STVARANJE DRUŠTVA ’ORVELOVOG’ TIPA
- TRANSGENA TEHNOLOGIJA (GMO) UTIČE NA PROMENE U ORGANIZMIMA
- NE MORA DA SE ZABRANI GM KUKURUZ, SAMO NEKA DAJU NISKE MDK VREDNOSTI ZA AFLATOKSIN
- NAGLA IZMENA GENETSKOG MATERIJALA NIJE BEZ POSLEDICA
- AGROPARLAMENT - PORED OSTALOG O GMO
- NIJE DOKAZANO DA JE GM HRANA ZDRAVSTVENO BEZBEDNA
- RADIO BEOGRAD 1 - NOVINARENJE: O GMO
Korisni članci na PPNS o glifosatu
- TOTALNI UDAR NA TOTALNE HERBICIDE I MONSANTO?
- Članovi EP: Glifosati ne smeju da budu ponovo odobreni za upotrebu
- Ministarstvo: Srbija će podržati odluku EU o glifosatu
- Nova studija ukazuje na vezu između herbicida glifosata i raka
- Holandski parlament zabranio Monsantov ’raundap’
- Monsantov predstavnik odbija piće sa glifosatom - prevod
- Akutno trovanje glifosat-surfaktantom sa neurološkim sekvelama i letalnim ishodom
- Glifosat smrtonosan
- U Argentini 30.000 lekara i zdravstvenih radnika zahteva zabranu glifosata
- Glifosat u nama
- Deset najvećih PR katastrofa biotehnologije u 2012.
Korisni članci na PPNS o EFSA
- EFSA i sukob interesa
- Većina stručnjaka za kontrolu namirnica u EU u sukobu interesa
- GM kukuruz: EFSA ne može da prekrije dokaze o bitnim propustima u proceni rizika
- GM kukuruz ipak negativno utiče na zdravlje?
- Nedostaci u EFSA-inoj proceni rizika - primeri osam GM useva
- Novi udarac za genetski modifikovane kulture
- Sud EU poništio dozvolu za GM krompir ’amflora’
- Vilijam Engdal, publicista – Plodovi semena uništenja
- Zašto je EU toliko protiv GMO, a SAD ne?
- GRINPIS: SAD PROTIV BARIJERA ZA GMO U EU I OBLASTI BEZ GMO
- EVROPSKI PARLAMENT GUBI SUVERENITETA PRED SAD ZBOG TTIP?
- EVROPSKI PARLAMENT PONOVO PROTIV GMO
- SUD U PARIZU PRIHVATIO REZULTATE SERALINIJA!
- GMO ĆE POSVAĐATI SAD I EU
- INSPEKCIJA ČEŠLJA SLAVONIJU, OGROMNE KOLIČINE GMO SOJE
- ČLANICE EU NE MOGU SAME DA ODLUČUJU O GMO
- EU UPOZORAVA SRBIJU: ZABRANA UVOZA GMO MORA DA SE UKINE!
- KOMITET EP NE BI DA ČLANICAMA EU PREPUSTI ODLUKU O GMO
- DVE TREĆINE ČLANICA EU NE ŽELI UZGOJ GMO
- BITKA PROTIV GENETSKI MODIFIKOVANE HRANE
- POLJSKA ODUSTAJE OD GMO
- NI NEMAČKA NEĆE GMO
- SEVERNA IRSKA ODLUČILA: NEĆEMO GMO
- RUSIJA NEĆE UZGAJATI GM PROIZVODE
- SKUPŠTINA SLOVENIJE USVOJILA ZAKON O ZABRANI GMO
- PREMIJER HRVATSKE: NE TREBA NAM GMO
- MONSANTO OTROVAO RATARE U FRANCUSKOJ
- ŠKOTSKA ZABRANJUJE GMO USEVE
- VLADA ZABRANILA UVOZ SOJINE SAČME - U FBIH
- AKCIJA U BIH - NA GRANICI OTKRILI GMO SOJU
- "SRBI, BORITE SE PROTIV GMO" - KORIN LEPAŽ, BIVŠA MINISTARKA EKOLOGIJE FRANCUSKE
- HOLANDSKI PARLAMENT ZABRANIO MONSANTOV ’RAUNDAP’
- KAKO GM SOJA UNIŠTAVA POLJOPRIVREDU?
- MARS I KELOGS POČELI DA OBELEŽAVAJU GMO PROIZVODE
- VAŠINGTON ZATRAŽIO OD EVROPE DA KUPUJE AMERIČKE GMO PROIZVODE
- PRVI PUT MANJE POVRŠINA POD GMO U SVETU
- GMO KOMARAC (GENETSKI INŽENJERING) ’DONEO’ VIRUS ZIKA?
- MONSANTO DELI OTKAZE JER BELEŽI GUBITAK I PAD AKCIJA
- APEL OBAMI: OBELEŽITE GMO!
- SUĐENJE MONSANTU ZBOG ’’ŠTETE KOJU JE NANEO LJUDSKOM ZDRAVLJU I OKRUŽENJU’’ (VIDEO)
- SAD ODOBRILE UPOTREBU GMO RIBE ZA ISHRANU
- PREHRAMBENE KOMPANIJE U SAD SVE VIŠE IZBEGAVAJU GM USEVE
- SVETSKI GMO ’TROVAČ’ MONSANTO U BULI, SLEDE OTKAZI
- AMERIKANCI PRELAZE NA ORGANSKO - POTROŠAČI SVE ZABRINUTIJI ZBOG GMO
- SVETSKA FONDACIJA ZA PRIRODU TOLERIŠE KRČENJE AMAZONA ZARAD GMO PLANTAŽA
- MONSANTOV HERBICID U KALIFORNIJI OZNAČEN KAO KANCEROGEN?
- MEŠTANI GRADIĆA TUŽE MONSANTO: ZATROVALI STE NAM REKU, ZBOG VAS UMIREMO OD RAKA!
- ARGENTINSKI GRAD PUN OBOLELIH OD KARCINOMA (VIDEO)
- NOVA STUDIJA UKAZUJE NA VEZU IZMEĐU HERBICIDA GLIFOSATA I RAKA
- NOVI TRGOVINSKI SPORAZUM SA SAD ĆE OTVORITI VRATA HRANI LOŠIJEG KVALITETA NAPUMPANOJ HORMONIMA RASTA I PESTICIDIMA, UPOZORAVA DŽEJMI OLIVER
- DESET NAJVEĆIH PR KATASTROFA BIOTEHNOLOGIJE U 2012.
PPNS/O GMO VIDEO
- PROF. DR MIODRAG DIMITRIJEVIĆ: GMO - RAT ZA HRANU (VIDEO)
- MIR DIVLJIH STVORENJA (GMO OMG - JEREMY SEIFERT)
- SERALINI: RIZICI UPOTREBE GMO U ISHRANI KRAVA
- MOZAIK RTK: GOST DEJAN MILOŠEVIĆ, PORTAL PRVI PRVI NA SKALI
- MITRIKS - O INDUSTRIJALIZOVANOJ PROIZVODNJI HRANE (THE MEATRIX)
- FOKS NJUZ REPORTERI DOBILI OTKAZ ZBOG OTKRIVANJA ISTINE O MONSANTU
- MONSANTOV PREDSTAVNIK ODBIJA PIĆE SA GLIFOSATOM - PREVOD
- AGENCIJA ZA BEZBEDNOST HRANE BIH POKUŠALA DA SAKRIJE IZVEŠTAJ O GMO (RTRS, PEČAT)
- MONSANTOV PREDSTAVNIK ODBIJA PIĆE SA GLIFOSATOM - PREVOD
- MARIJAN JOŠT I VALERIJE VRČEK - ZABRANITE UPOTREBU GLIFOSATA!
- NEOPHODNO ЈЕ DONETI NOVI ZAKON O GMO - KNJIGA PREPORUKA NACIONALNOG KONVENTA O EVROPSKOJ UNIJI 2015/2016
- ZAKON O INSPEKCIJSKOM NADZORU
- SLUČAJ PROTIV GMO - PORTFOLIO 21
- AKUTNO TROVANJE GLIFOSAT-SURFAKTANTOM SA NEUROLOŠKIM SEKVELAMA I LETALNIM ISHODOM
● O GMO ● Roba bez GMO ● Foto ● Video (O GMO, bez prevoda) ● Članci (domaći mediji, strani mediji) ● Dokumenti (domaći izvori, strani izvori) ● Svet ● Evropa ● Srbija ● Gradovi-opštine ● Kragujevac bez GMO ● M. M. Ševarlić (nazivi aktiviraju linkove)
- Ponedeljkom: ČEKAJUĆI VETAR - Aleksandra Vukićević
- Ponedeljkom: NEONSKA DUGA - Žikica Simić
- Utorkom: POP DEPRESIJA - Ivan Lončarević
- Sredom: OBLAK U BERMUDAMA - Darko Kocjan
- Četvrtkom: MALI SVETIONIK - Stanislav Žabić (SAD)
- Subotom: Z.A.I.R. - Zoran Modli
- Više puta mesečno: MJEHUR NA MREŽI - Srđan Anđelić
- Više puta mesečno: SREDINOM ULICE - Moma Rajin
- Više puta mesečno: AUDIO I FOTO ARHIV SIMIĆ - Dragoslav Simić