Health and Environment Alliance (HEAL)
Low-dose, long-term exposure to Roundup causes disease in rats
Brussels, 9 January 2017 – A study published today shows that low levels of exposure to the weed killer Roundup over a long period of time can cause liver disease in rats. The findings are likely to bring further public attention to the Roundup’s controversial active ingredient, glyphosate.
The peer-reviewed paper is published in Scientific Reports entitled "Multiomics reveal non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in rats following chronic exposure to an ultra-low dose of Roundup herbicide".(1) The study is unique in that it is the first to show a causative link between consumption of Roundup at a “real world” environmental dose and a serious disease condition.
Cutting edge molecule profiling analyses were used to reveal that Roundup causes liver damage at doses permitted by regulators. Female rats were administered with an extremely low dose(2) of Roundup weed killer over a two-year period and found to suffer from non-alcoholic fatty liver disease(NAFLD). The dose selected was below what people are commonly exposed to in the everyday environment and 75,000 times below what is permitted by EU regulators.(2)
Dr Michael Antoniou, who is a member of the Gene Expression and Therapy Group at King’s College London and one of the authors of the paper, says: “The findings of our study are very worrying as they demonstrate for the first time a causative link between an environmentally relevant level of Roundup consumption over the long-term and a serious disease - namely non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Our results also suggest that regulators should reconsider the safety evaluation of glyphosate-based herbicides.”
Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) is a common condition in humans. It occurs in at least one in five of the general population, and in the vast majority of people with type 2 diabetes, according to Dr Antoniou.
The Health and Environment Alliance (HEAL), one of a growing number of civil society actors, cancer charities and medical professionals, has repeatedly called for an end to the licensing of glyphosate.
"Glyphosate is already classified by IARC as a ’probable carcinogen’ by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) of the World Health Organization. It is also described as a ‘potential endocrine disrupting chemical’. This new study adds to evidence about the likely harm to human health from Roundup and other glyphosate based herbicides. Given people’s unavoidable exposures from the massive increase in the use of these weed killers over the past 30 years, surely it is time to ban it on precautionary grounds?" says Génon K. Jensen, Executive Director, Health and Environment Alliance (HEAL).
The glyphosate controversy
In 2015, the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) of the World Health Organization classified glyphosate as a "probable human carcinogen".(3) The ensuing scientific and public debate led the European Commission to announce that it would extend glyphosate’s licence for 18 months rather than re-authorise for the previously anticipated period of 15 years, until Europe’s own classification process for glyphosate is completed.
At the end of 2016, the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) begun to consider whether glyphosate should be classified as a human carcinogen under European harmonised classification and labelling law. Its Risk Assessment Committee (RAC) will continue discussions at its next meeting in March 2017. It expects to reach a final opinion on the proposed classification in June or September this year.(4) The legal deadline for the adoption of RAC’s opinion is November 2017, after which it must still be officially adopted by a Commission committee composed of Member State representatives.(5)
Meanwhile, several EU member states have already taken action to curb the use of glyphosate. In July 2016, Malta’s Environment Ministry asked the national pesticide regulator to implement "political direction given by the ministry towards a ban".(6) The French Environment Minister has told garden centres to stop sales of glyphosate to individuals unless a qualified vendor provides advice. Measures have also been introduced in the Netherlands and Denmark.
Before the Commission took its decision on glyphosate licensing, a petition signed by over 250,000 European citizens urged the Health and Food Safety Commissioner, Vytenis Andriukaitis, and responsible ministers of the member states "to decline the licence renewal of glyphosate".(7)
Notes for journalists
- Mesnage R, Renney G, Séralini GE, Ward M, Antoniou MN. "Multiomics reveal non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in rats following chronic exposure to an ultra-low dose of Roundup herbicide" is published Scientific Reports. Reports is an online, open access journal from the publishers of Nature.
- The results demonstrate that long-term consumption of an ultra-low, environmentally relevant dose of Roundup at a glyphosate daily intake level of only 4 nanograms per kilogram of body weight per day, which is 75,000 times below EU and 437,500 below US permitted levels, results in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD).
- Lancet Oncology, Carcinogenicity of tetrachlorvinphos, parathion, malathion, diazinon, and glyphosate, 20 March 2015,
- Chemical Watch
- Times of Malta
- Petition, Stop glyphosate
- The Health and Environment Alliance (HEAL) is a leading European not-for-profit organisation addressing how the environment affects health in the European Union (EU). With the support of more than 70 member organisations, HEAL brings independent expertise and evidence from the health community to different decision-making processes. Our broad alliance represents health professionals, not-for-profit health insurers, doctors, nurses, cancer and asthma groups, citizens, women’s groups, youth groups, environmental NGOs, scientists and public health research institutes. Members include international and Europe-wide organisations as well as national and local groups. Website:Chemical Substances in Housing Environment.
- Minute quantities of glyphosate caused a fatty liver disease in a study on rats
- This popular chemical is sold under the brand name Roundup by Monsanto
- Experts say the shocking findings raise serious concerns for human health
Our results also suggest that regulators should reconsider the safety evaluation of glyphosate-based herbicides
Dr Michael Antoniou, of Kings College, London
A weedkiller commonly used on UK food crops and gardens has been linked to a serious liver disease by British academics.
Minute quantities of glyphosate, sold under the brand name Roundup by Monsanto, caused a fatty liver disease in a feeding study using rats.
The research was led by Dr Michael Antoniou, of Kings College, London, who said the findings raise serious concerns for human health.
He called on regulators to re-think both the use of Roundup on farms and the risk to humans caused by residues in food.
The medical condition linked to the weedkiller is non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), which is usually found in people who are overweight or obese.
Symptoms include fatigue, weakness, loss of appetite, nausea, abdominal pain, spider-like blood vessels, jaundice, fluid build-up and swelling of the legs.
Dr Antoniou said: ’The findings of our study are very worrying as they demonstrate for the first time a causative link between an environmentally relevant level of Roundup consumption over the long-term and a serious disease.
’Our results also suggest that regulators should reconsider the safety evaluation of glyphosate-based herbicides.’
Glyphosate or Roundup is the most commonly used weedkiller on British farms and around the world. It is also sold as a weedkiller for household gardens.
Significantly, the chemical is a mainstay of GM farming, particularly in the United States.
GM crops like soya and corn or maize have been modified in the laboratory by companies like Monsanto to make them immune to spraying with Roundup.
This means that farmers can douse their crops with the chemical which kills off any weeds but allow the food plants to survive.
There is recent research to show that low levels of weedkiller residues from these plants end up in the human diet in the USA in everything from breakfast cereals to corn snacks and biscuits.
Supporters of GM farming, such as the former Conservative Food and Farming Secretary, Owen Paterson, have used the fact GM crops and farming techniques have been used in the USA for 20 years as proof they are safe.
The British research, which has been peer-reviewed by experts to ensure the study was properly conducted, is the first to identify a risk to human health.
Experts at King’s College used cutting edge profiling methods to examine the livers of female rats fed an extremely low dose of Roundup over a two year period.
Dr Robin Mesnage, a research associate at Kings, said: ’The concentration of glyphosate that was added to the drinking water of the rats corresponds to a concentration found in tap water for human consumption.
’It is also lower than the contamination of some foodstuffs.’
The team examined the livers at a molecular level and found evidence of cell damage, serious fatty liver disease and areas of dead tissue or necrosis.
They concluded: ’The study is unique in that it is the first to show a causative link between consumption of Roundup at a real-world environmental dose and a serious disease condition.
’These results demonstrate that long-term consumption of an ultra-low, environmentally relevant dose of Roundup at a glyphosate daily intake level of only 4 nanograms per kilogram of body weight per day, which is 75,000 times below EU and 437,500 below US permitted levels, results in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
’Regulators worldwide accept toxicity studies in rats as indicators of human health risks. Therefore, the results of this latest study may have serious consequences for human health.’
The fact the research has been peer reviewed and published in the journal Scientific Reports means the methods have been scrutinised and verified.
The Crop Protection Association, which speaks for Monsanto and other chemical companies, questioned the validity of the King’s study.
The CPA said: ’Glyphosate is amongst the most thoroughly tested herbicides on the market, and those studies by expert regulators have consistently concluded that glyphosate does not pose a risk to public health.
’Glyphosate is a crucial tool in a farmers’ armoury. To put things in perspective, glyphosate is less toxic than baking soda, table salt, the caffeine in our coffee and many other products we all use or consume regularly.’
WHAT IS NAFLD?
Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease is the term for a range of conditions caused by a build-up of fat in the liver.
It’s usually seen in people who are overweight or obese.
A healthy liver should contain little or no fat. It’s estimated that up to one in every three people in the UK has early stages of NAFLD where there are small amounts of fat in their liver.
Early-stage NAFLD doesn’t usually cause any harm, but it can lead to serious liver damage, including cirrhosis - which can be deadly, if it gets worse.
Having high levels of fat in your liver is also associated with an increased risk of problems such as diabetes, heart attacks and strokes.
If detected and managed at an early stage, it’s possible to stop NAFLD getting worse and reduce the amount of fat in your liver.
Source: NHS Choices
Sean Poulter, Consumer Affairs Editor For The Daily Mail
U Republici Srbiji aktuelno je 139 deklaracija protiv genetički modifikovanih organizama (GMO) na teritorijama gradova i opština. Usvajane su od Čačka 30. januara 2013. godine do Sjenice 20. decembra 2016. godine. Na portalu PPNS podeljene su u dve grupe:
- GRADOVI I OPŠTINE SRBIJE SA USVOJENIM DEKLARACIJAMA PROTIV GENETIČKI MODIFIKOVANIH ORGANIZAMA (135)
- DEKLARACIJE DRUŠTAVA I ORGANIZACIJA (4)
Tekst Deklaracije o GMO su jednoglasno usvojili odbornici u 135 opština i gradova ili 80% od ukupno 169 gradova i opština u Srbiji - bez podataka za Kosovo i Metohiju.
U 135 opština i gradova koji čine sadašnju SRBIJU BEZ GMO se nalazi:
- 77,2% ukupne teritorije Srbije
- 84,5% ukupnog stanovništva u 2014. godini
- 75,3% poljoprivrednog zemljišta, 72,2% oranica, 80,4% livada i pašnjaka i 86,4% voćnjaka i vinograda - po Popisu 2012. godine
Napomena: grbovi gradova i opština u ovom dokumentu sadrže linkove koji vode do zasebno predstavljenih deklaracija
Za ostatak teritorije naše države gde još uvek nema zvaničnog dokumenta lokalne samouprave protiv genetički modifikovanih organizama, evo predloga Deklaracije Mi ne želimo GMO na našoj teritoriji!, usvojene u većini gradova i opština. Autor je prof. dr Miladin M. Ševarlić.
Ukoliko imate nove podatke iz navedenih opština i gradova Srbije, a naročito ako znate da postoje usvojene Deklaracije protiv GMO na našoj teritoriji koje ovde nisu predstavljene, molimo vas da nas kontaktirate služeći se formom na portalu PPNS. Unapred hvala za trud.
SRBIJA BEZ GMO - GMO-FREE SERBIA
Hol Skupštine Srbije, 18. oktobar 2016. - prvo nacionalno predstavljanje mape i logotipa Srbija bez GMO
Izvor: Narodna skupština Republike Srbije
OPŠTINE I REGIONI U REPUBLICI SRBIJI, 2015 - REPUBLIČKI ZAVOD ZA STATISTIKU
- HRANA BUDUĆNOSTI ILI BIOTERORIZAM
- KAKO DA O(P)STANE SRBIJA BEZ GMO - SNIMAK TRIBINE
- DECI O GMO - DR TATJANA PAPIĆ BRANKOV
- ULOGA MEĐUNARODNIH ORGANIZACIJA U ŠIRENJU GM HRANE - TATJANA PAPIĆ BRANKOV I KOVILJKO LOVRE
- DR TATJANA BRANKOV - GMO RULET
- ČUVAJMO SVOJE SORTE I HIBRIDE: GMO - OTROV, HRANA ILI... (NOVOSTI, DODATAK)
PPNS/O GMO/PROF. DR MIODRAG DIMITRIJEVIĆ
- GMO - ORUŽJE ZA STVARANJE DRUŠTVA ’ORVELOVOG’ TIPA
- TRANSGENA TEHNOLOGIJA (GMO) UTIČE NA PROMENE U ORGANIZMIMA
- NE MORA DA SE ZABRANI GM KUKURUZ, SAMO NEKA DAJU NISKE MDK VREDNOSTI ZA AFLATOKSIN
- NAGLA IZMENA GENETSKOG MATERIJALA NIJE BEZ POSLEDICA
- AGROPARLAMENT - PORED OSTALOG O GMO
- NIJE DOKAZANO DA JE GM HRANA ZDRAVSTVENO BEZBEDNA
- RADIO BEOGRAD 1 - NOVINARENJE: O GMO
Korisni članci na PPNS o glifosatu
- TOTALNI UDAR NA TOTALNE HERBICIDE I MONSANTO?
- Članovi EP: Glifosati ne smeju da budu ponovo odobreni za upotrebu
- Ministarstvo: Srbija će podržati odluku EU o glifosatu
- Nova studija ukazuje na vezu između herbicida glifosata i raka
- Holandski parlament zabranio Monsantov ’raundap’
- Monsantov predstavnik odbija piće sa glifosatom - prevod
- Akutno trovanje glifosat-surfaktantom sa neurološkim sekvelama i letalnim ishodom
- Glifosat smrtonosan
- U Argentini 30.000 lekara i zdravstvenih radnika zahteva zabranu glifosata
- Glifosat u nama
- Deset najvećih PR katastrofa biotehnologije u 2012.
Korisni članci na PPNS o EFSA
- EFSA i sukob interesa
- Većina stručnjaka za kontrolu namirnica u EU u sukobu interesa
- GM kukuruz: EFSA ne može da prekrije dokaze o bitnim propustima u proceni rizika
- GM kukuruz ipak negativno utiče na zdravlje?
- Nedostaci u EFSA-inoj proceni rizika - primeri osam GM useva
- Novi udarac za genetski modifikovane kulture
- Sud EU poništio dozvolu za GM krompir ’amflora’
- Vilijam Engdal, publicista – Plodovi semena uništenja
- Zašto je EU toliko protiv GMO, a SAD ne?
- GRINPIS: SAD PROTIV BARIJERA ZA GMO U EU I OBLASTI BEZ GMO
- EVROPSKI PARLAMENT GUBI SUVERENITETA PRED SAD ZBOG TTIP?
- EVROPSKI PARLAMENT PONOVO PROTIV GMO
- SUD U PARIZU PRIHVATIO REZULTATE SERALINIJA!
- GMO ĆE POSVAĐATI SAD I EU
- INSPEKCIJA ČEŠLJA SLAVONIJU, OGROMNE KOLIČINE GMO SOJE
- ČLANICE EU NE MOGU SAME DA ODLUČUJU O GMO
- EU UPOZORAVA SRBIJU: ZABRANA UVOZA GMO MORA DA SE UKINE!
- KOMITET EP NE BI DA ČLANICAMA EU PREPUSTI ODLUKU O GMO
- DVE TREĆINE ČLANICA EU NE ŽELI UZGOJ GMO
- BITKA PROTIV GENETSKI MODIFIKOVANE HRANE
- POLJSKA ODUSTAJE OD GMO
- NI NEMAČKA NEĆE GMO
- SEVERNA IRSKA ODLUČILA: NEĆEMO GMO
- RUSIJA NEĆE UZGAJATI GM PROIZVODE
- SKUPŠTINA SLOVENIJE USVOJILA ZAKON O ZABRANI GMO
- PREMIJER HRVATSKE: NE TREBA NAM GMO
- MONSANTO OTROVAO RATARE U FRANCUSKOJ
- ŠKOTSKA ZABRANJUJE GMO USEVE
- VLADA ZABRANILA UVOZ SOJINE SAČME - U FBIH
- AKCIJA U BIH - NA GRANICI OTKRILI GMO SOJU
- "SRBI, BORITE SE PROTIV GMO" - KORIN LEPAŽ, BIVŠA MINISTARKA EKOLOGIJE FRANCUSKE
- HOLANDSKI PARLAMENT ZABRANIO MONSANTOV ’RAUNDAP’
- KAKO GM SOJA UNIŠTAVA POLJOPRIVREDU?
- MARS I KELOGS POČELI DA OBELEŽAVAJU GMO PROIZVODE
- VAŠINGTON ZATRAŽIO OD EVROPE DA KUPUJE AMERIČKE GMO PROIZVODE
- PRVI PUT MANJE POVRŠINA POD GMO U SVETU
- GMO KOMARAC (GENETSKI INŽENJERING) ’DONEO’ VIRUS ZIKA?
- MONSANTO DELI OTKAZE JER BELEŽI GUBITAK I PAD AKCIJA
- APEL OBAMI: OBELEŽITE GMO!
- SUĐENJE MONSANTU ZBOG ’’ŠTETE KOJU JE NANEO LJUDSKOM ZDRAVLJU I OKRUŽENJU’’ (VIDEO)
- SAD ODOBRILE UPOTREBU GMO RIBE ZA ISHRANU
- PREHRAMBENE KOMPANIJE U SAD SVE VIŠE IZBEGAVAJU GM USEVE
- SVETSKI GMO ’TROVAČ’ MONSANTO U BULI, SLEDE OTKAZI
- AMERIKANCI PRELAZE NA ORGANSKO - POTROŠAČI SVE ZABRINUTIJI ZBOG GMO
- SVETSKA FONDACIJA ZA PRIRODU TOLERIŠE KRČENJE AMAZONA ZARAD GMO PLANTAŽA
- MONSANTOV HERBICID U KALIFORNIJI OZNAČEN KAO KANCEROGEN?
- MEŠTANI GRADIĆA TUŽE MONSANTO: ZATROVALI STE NAM REKU, ZBOG VAS UMIREMO OD RAKA!
- ARGENTINSKI GRAD PUN OBOLELIH OD KARCINOMA (VIDEO)
- NOVA STUDIJA UKAZUJE NA VEZU IZMEĐU HERBICIDA GLIFOSATA I RAKA
- NOVI TRGOVINSKI SPORAZUM SA SAD ĆE OTVORITI VRATA HRANI LOŠIJEG KVALITETA NAPUMPANOJ HORMONIMA RASTA I PESTICIDIMA, UPOZORAVA DŽEJMI OLIVER
- DESET NAJVEĆIH PR KATASTROFA BIOTEHNOLOGIJE U 2012.
PPNS/O GMO VIDEO
- PROF. DR MIODRAG DIMITRIJEVIĆ: GMO - RAT ZA HRANU (VIDEO)
- MIR DIVLJIH STVORENJA (GMO OMG - JEREMY SEIFERT)
- SERALINI: RIZICI UPOTREBE GMO U ISHRANI KRAVA
- MOZAIK RTK: GOST DEJAN MILOŠEVIĆ, PORTAL PRVI PRVI NA SKALI
- MITRIKS - O INDUSTRIJALIZOVANOJ PROIZVODNJI HRANE (THE MEATRIX)
- FOKS NJUZ REPORTERI DOBILI OTKAZ ZBOG OTKRIVANJA ISTINE O MONSANTU
- MONSANTOV PREDSTAVNIK ODBIJA PIĆE SA GLIFOSATOM - PREVOD
- AGENCIJA ZA BEZBEDNOST HRANE BIH POKUŠALA DA SAKRIJE IZVEŠTAJ O GMO (RTRS, PEČAT)
- MONSANTOV PREDSTAVNIK ODBIJA PIĆE SA GLIFOSATOM - PREVOD
- MARIJAN JOŠT I VALERIJE VRČEK - ZABRANITE UPOTREBU GLIFOSATA!
- NEOPHODNO ЈЕ DONETI NOVI ZAKON O GMO - KNJIGA PREPORUKA NACIONALNOG KONVENTA O EVROPSKOJ UNIJI 2015/2016
- ZAKON O INSPEKCIJSKOM NADZORU
- SLUČAJ PROTIV GMO - PORTFOLIO 21
- AKUTNO TROVANJE GLIFOSAT-SURFAKTANTOM SA NEUROLOŠKIM SEKVELAMA I LETALNIM ISHODOM
● O GMO ● Roba bez GMO ● Foto ● Video (O GMO, bez prevoda) ● Članci (domaći mediji, strani mediji) ● Dokumenti (domaći izvori, strani izvori) ● Svet ● Evropa ● Srbija ● Gradovi-opštine ● Kragujevac bez GMO ● M. M. Ševarlić (nazivi aktiviraju linkove)
- Ponedeljkom: ČEKAJUĆI VETAR - Aleksandra Vukićević
- Ponedeljkom: NEONSKA DUGA - Žikica Simić
- Utorkom: POP DEPRESIJA - Ivan Lončarević
- Sredom: OBLAK U BERMUDAMA - Darko Kocjan
- Četvrtkom: MALI SVETIONIK - Stanislav Žabić (SAD)
- Subotom: Z.A.I.R. - Zoran Modli
- Više puta mesečno: MJEHUR NA MREŽI - Srđan Anđelić
- Više puta mesečno: SREDINOM ULICE - Moma Rajin
- Više puta mesečno: AUDIO I FOTO ARHIV SIMIĆ - Dragoslav Simić